Friday, March 4, 2011
Mediterranean Turkey Burgers with Garlic & Roasted Red Pepper Couscous
I really do have a mostly-healthy diet and I truly believe in moderation, exercise and natural, good-for-your body foods! However, I got to thinking the other day that most of the posts so far have been desserts and appetizers that really aren’t very good for you at all. In addition, in 64 days I am going to be walking down the aisle to my amazing future husband (not that I’m counting.) Honestly, it’s crunch time! I hold fast to the idea that everything is ok in moderation so here is what I eat to offset some of that “moderation”, AKA – cupcakes, brownies, banana bread (to post next week), onion dip, etc.
This meal was incredibly healthy and super simple to put together. I don’t usually buy ground turkey but I saw these yesterday and decided to give it a whirl. Paul and I actually got to share a meal together last night (which is rare most weeks) so I was looking forward to cooking something that would be nourishing and healthy but give us great energy to keep up with the wedding planning! Couscous is a great alternative to rice. It’s a little bit different texture, very versatile, cooks similarly to rice and is high in fiber and protein. The ground turkey is also lower in fat and cholesterol that ground beef and is an excellent source of protein!
Mediterranean Turkey Burgers (printable recipe)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 T olive oil
1. Mix the first the first 8 ingredients, adding more breadcrumbs depending on the texture. Mix well and divide into four burgers.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add burgers to the skillet and cook 7-8 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Turkey should reach 160 degrees.
3. Remove from heat and serve on buns with condiments or sprinkle some extra feta and spinach on top and serve sans bun.
adapted from Eat Live Run
Garlic and Roasted Red Pepper Couscous (printable recipe)
ingredients: (this “serves” two but we had leftovers)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2/3 cup wheat couscous
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in couscous, roasted red peppers and salt, cover and remove from heat.
4. Let stand (and don’t remove the lid) for 5-6 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed.