Monday, May 21, 2012

Milk Bar Monday – Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshallow Cookies

If you’ve ever wondered what humility looks like, take a look at these cookies:

We spent the weekend at the lake.  It was so relaxing.  You can see why here, here and here.

But last week, before we left, I had a small case of the blogging blues.  I didn’t want to cook, didn’t want to take my camera out of the bag, and really had no interest in baking cookies (gasp!)  If you blog, you probably know what I’m talking about.  However, I knew that I needed to get these cookies completed because I wouldn’t have time after our lake trip to get it done.  So I (sort-of) plowed through.  And I learned some lessons.

Lesson 1: when you make your cornflake crunch a few days in advance, store it in a secure airtight container so that when you knock said container off of the counter, the cornflake crunch doesn’t end up scattered all over the dirty floor.  It’s best not to have to make the cornflake crunch twice.

Lesson 2: Follow the ten-minute creaming process.  I explain it in this cookie post.  I can’t express the importance, no excuses, even if it looks creamed enough, don’t skimp.  Because I might have skimped here to save time.  Then my cookies turned out looking like this: flimsy, flat, too done around the edges and sugars left unincorporated with fats.  Fail.  Big fat fail.

Lesson 3:  Just start over.  When a recipe turns out terribly, and I am so mad at myself, and frustrated, and flustered, I also take photos that, obviously, are terrible as well, and that frustrates me and flusters me even more.  As stated, I should have started over.  But time did not allow.  So even when the cookies and photos turn out terribly, I will humble myself and admit my mistakes because I am positive these cookies, when baked correctly, are amazing.

The previous Milk Bar Mondays have proven that this is fact.  But when you make these, turn on some happy music, read (and re-read) the recipe, and don’t drop your cornflake crunch on the floor!  I’m better now.

As I’m sure that the rest of the ladies had success, don’t stop at my cookies.  Averie is hosting this week so you’ll find the recipe at Averie Cooks! Note: so, it turns out that some of the other ladies had trouble with these cookies turning out flat, even after they followed the recipe to a T.  Mine still do not look as great as theirs look but it seems the consensus is that these cookies spread just a bit more than the average cookie.

And for a roundup of our previous MBM posts, click here.   Follow our Milk Bar Monday happenings on Twitter! #milkbarmondays

And check out the other posts here:

Audra – The Baker Chick
Jacqueline – The Dusty Baker
Krissy – Krissy’s Creations
Erin – Big Fat Baker
Nicole –Sweet Peony Blog
Meagan – Scarletta Bakes

80 Responses to “Milk Bar Monday – Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshallow Cookies”

1. #
    Erin @ Texanerin Baking — May 21, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Are those supposed to be the terrible pictures? Because they definitely aren’t and the cookies look delicious, even if they spread! And I know what you mean about the blogging blues. I almost always want to bake and take pictures but there have been a few days when I had free time and I just couldn’t be bothered. Lying in bed and watching movies just seems more appealing sometimes. :)

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Thanks so much Erin! You are so sweet and you made me feel tons better about my pictures. I think we are so hard on ourselves sometimes!

2. #
    sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 21, 2012 @ 6:37 am

Cassie, I’m just like you in Lesson #3. I get SO mad at myself when a recipe doens’t turn out. I’ve even cried before! I tried to bake banana oatmeal choc chip cookies on Friday and they were…… disgusting. and looked like crap! Bleh.

I wouldn’t have had patience to wait 10 minutes for the creaming process, so I’m glad you let us know how IMPERATIVE it is to this cookie. These look fantastic… just like the compost cookies. And if these are your terrible photos, you are crazy! they look great. :)

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Thanks so much Sally, you are too sweet!

3. #
    Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 21, 2012 @ 6:39 am

I know what you mean by the blogging blues. I think we all get there at one point or another and is sometimes really hard to push past. Your pictures are still great Cassie :)

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Thank you so much, Rachel!!

4. #
    Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 21, 2012 @ 6:49 am

I totally feel you on all parts of this post – the apathy, the frustration, all of it. Though these cookies look mighty fine to me – I’d happily put these in my belly!

5. #
    Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 21, 2012 @ 7:00 am

I totally know what you mean Cassie. Sometimes you just need a clean break from blogging. It’s really liberating to cook without the pressure of taking pictures, which is something that I do during the work week. It’s just too hard and time-consuming to bake/cook when you’re coming home at 7PM and having to wake up at 4:45 the next morning. As for lesson 3, totally been there and done that. I know that I should start over and all but there’s that glimmer of hope that somehow it’ll turn out magical and when it doesn’t, it becomes a nightmare. Ugh.

On another note, these cookies still look awesome. If you have some leftover, I’d be more than happy to take care of them for you :)

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Yes, it is hard to juggle it all! Thanks so much Chung-Ah!

6. #
    Audra@The-Baker-Chick — May 21, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Oh I get you girl. On all accounts. I have blogging blues all the time, and unfortunately for me- I rarely have a bank of posts so that means I either just don’t post at all or have to force myself into wanting to bake.

Also- don’t worry- we all had this spreading issue with these cookies. I get for frustration- but I totally think this is just one of those recipes that proved tough for all of us.

I still think they look delicious though!!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

I was so glad to hear that everyone had an issue with the spreading cookies…I did everything as written, except for cream long enough. I definitely need to try them again soon!

7. #
    Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 21, 2012 @ 7:53 am

Sweet goodness, these cookies are awesome!

8. #
    Cookbook Queen — May 21, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Love your Milk Bar Mondays!!

I am all too familiar with baking ruts. I hope your mini vacation brought you back home feeling inspired!! xoxo

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

Definitely did just that, thanks Kristan!

9. #
    Lauren — May 21, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Because these have cornflakes in them, I’ll consider these a breakfast food. And, in my experience, the homeliest looking cookies taste the best!

10. #
    Megan {Country Cleaver} — May 21, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Everybody has the “i just don’t wanna cook and blog days” and on those days I find it best to walk away and sit down to watch some trashy reality tv. The mood will pass -and hopefully the lake time got you refreshed and back in the game :) I still love the whole crunchy chocolate side of these. My imagination is tantalized right now!

11. #
    BigFatBaker — May 21, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Cassie your cookies still look great!! I have been feeling the blogging blues lately too….all I’d rather do is hang out outside and read – ha! But you really did make it through these successfully, yours look much less of a spreading mess than mine did.

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

I’m back at it today, thanks Erin! Just gotta keep on going! :)

12. #
    Jill — May 21, 2012 @ 8:48 am

I’ve been making those Compost Cookies awhile now and they are so good! And the creaming process? A must, even though it’s kind of annoying.

I’ve also made these and didn’t enjoy them quite as much as the compost, but maybe it’s because I probably only creamed the mixture for like 5 minutes. I’ll have to give them another try!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

The compost cookies are definitely my favorite…I just love the sweet and salty combo!

13. #
    Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 21, 2012 @ 8:52 am

I definitely know the “I don’t want to bake/cook/photograph anything” feeling. It’s ok, it happens to all of us.
    Regardless though, you still had cookies at the end of the day even if they weren’t perfect! ;)

14. #
    Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — May 21, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Boo, I totally know about the blogging blues. I keep a few pre-made posts in my repertoire just for those kinds of days. I’m sorry they didn’t turn out for you. Boo. I bet they still tasted lovely! :D But, I’m glad you had a great time at the lake! :D Yay!

15. #
    Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 21, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I love this post because we’ve all been there, Cassie! And by the way, your cookies still look & sound fantastic :).

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Thank you Laura!!

16. #
    Anna — May 21, 2012 @ 9:34 am

I’ve definitely had blogging funks too, and unsuccessful recipes certainly don’t help! I’ve had this problem every time I try to make cookies with marshmallows…flat and too crispy on the edges for me. I’ve decided to stick with marshmallows in s’mores bars :)
    Hope you have a great week and glad you had a relaxing weekend!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Hopefully I will have some successes soon to bounce back. And yes, I plan to leave the marshmallows on the shelf for now…they’ve never been my favorite anyway!

17. #
    amy @ fearless homemaker — May 21, 2012 @ 9:38 am

i soooo hear you on the blogging blues. it happens to the best of us + we’ve all been there! i still think these sound delicious – maybe i’ll have to try ‘em soon. =)

18. #
    Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — May 21, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Aww, Cassie, these look fantastic! I don’t think the photos are lackluster at all. And oh yes…I totally know that “meh” feeling you’re referring to. It happens to all of us! I’m glad your weekend was good, though. A relaxing getaway always helps.

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

Thanks Tara, your words made me smile!!

19. #
    Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — May 21, 2012 @ 11:50 am

I’m with you on the creaming. I think it’s the most important part of the baking process!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Yes it is…I definitely need to slow down and not be in such a big hurry!

20. #
    Julie @ Table for Two — May 21, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

I’ve been in blogging blues for a while. I think I just want to move to my new house and start fresh. I’m just so stressed with everything that sometimes it’s hard to think of stuff to make. Even though your cookies were a “fail”, I’d still eat them all!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Fresh starts are always energizing! Cheers to a new kitchen!!

21. #
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 21, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

I hate when you get the blogging blues! Hope your trip to the lake brought you much needed rest and rejuvination!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

It did that, thanks Erin!

22. #
    Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 21, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

These cookies may not have turned out the way you wanted, but they still look great! I 10,000% know how you felt about the blogging blues… sometimes you just don’t want to look at another stick of butter! And someone to clean up the dishes would be nice once in a while, heh… Also, I’m having a ChicWrap giveaway today that you should enter!

23. #
    Kathryn — May 21, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

Oh I completely know what you mean. And do you know what? This is one of my favourite posts of yours even if the cookies didn’t turn out perfectly because it’s so honest and so easy to relate to. I hope the weekend away helped recharge your batteries :)

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

Thank you so much, Kathryn! It feels good to put yourself out there sometimes!

24. #
    Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 21, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I get the blogging blues from time to time. It’s usually more of a laziness factor than anything. But, I love this recipe so kudos to you. Hope the lake was fun!

• Cassie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

It was a blast, thanks Ryan!

25. #
    Jackie @ Domestic Fits — May 21, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I call it BlogWeary. “I love my blog, and my friends in the computer, but I feel very blogweary right now.” It comes and goes, but I’m glad your back! And here you are with cookies that I will not be able to stop thinking about :)

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:41 am

BlogWeary is what I shall call it from now on too! :)

26. #
    Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — May 21, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

I totally feel you on SOOOO many levels, Cassie! I too have been feeling BlogWeary lately, and these cookies didn’t do much to help. I totes took it as a message that, if I’m going to do it, do it right. And following the directions to a tee. These tasted great, though. Glad you had a nice mini vacay! :)

27. #
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 21, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

I understand how you feel. Sometimes it’s so much work blogging. What am I going to make? Do I post everyday? What can I come up with next to make? I hate when I make something and either it doesn’t turn out or the pictures look like crap. It is wearing on a person. Right now, it’s either make dinner, something different to make or exercise, which I need to do? Working full time, sometimes there just isn’t enough time in the day to complete everything you want to, or worse yet you have to.

Enjoy your time at the Lake and if you don’t do a post, your fans will still be here for you!

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Yes, all questions that I ask myself all the time. It can be exhausting!

28. #
    Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — May 21, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

Cornflakes in cookies?! Genius. P.S. sometimes you just need a break from things if you are going to continue loving them as a hobby instead of a chore. I say, take a little vacay :)

29. #
    Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 21, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Your cookies and being frustrated and thinking you should have just started over; yeah, I hear that. I did everything right down to the T that she called for and then I put the baking sheets in the oven and watched the spreadfest. Oh boy. Not an easy feeling!

Hope your time away recharged you!

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Agreed. I kind of want to make them again just to try but finding the time is difficult. I think I’ll just move along to the next one!

30. #
    Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — May 21, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend at the lake! I am heading to our lake this weekend and cannot wait! And don’t be so hard on yourself, we all have off days in the kitchen and your cookies still look fantastic! I am the same way sometimes about being unmotivated and rushing and then being mad at myself for not taking my time! It happens!

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:42 am

I hope you have a great time this weekend…we came back very relaxed!!

31. #
    Tracey — May 21, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

There’s a fruity pebbles variation on this cookie in the book that I really want to make but I found a lot of reviews floating around saying the cookies turned out really thin so I’ve held off. I might just need to take a trek to the bakery and buy some :) I hate off days in the kitchen, but we all have them. Glad you had the weekend at the lake to relax afterward!

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:43 am

I think I would love a fruity pebbles version of these!

32. #
    Zsofi — May 21, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Whoa, these pictures certainly don’t look terrible to me! I think though, that if your heart wasn’t in it, next time don’t do it, and just enjoy the weekend, because you’ll just end up frustrated. :) I say that from experience, because I’ve certainly been there too! And yes, sometimes I’ve thrown a whole batter into the garbage. And it’s kind of terrible to do, but is also strangely satisfying. Ah, the ups and downs of baking.

I am mightily intrigued by the concept of cornflakes in cookies….I bet they’re delicious.

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Thank you so much Zsofi!

33. #
    Cookin' Cowgirl — May 21, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Oh my gosh! How awesome are these! I love how thin they are {I don’t think I would feel guilty about eating 50!}
    Love these!

34. #
    Jen at The Three Little Piglets — May 21, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

I think we all have days like that whether we blog or not! I can’t stand when you’re all finished only to go and edit the pictures and discover they’re too dark or a little blurry…

35. #
    Anne@FromMySweetHeart — May 21, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

Oh Cassie….how I can relate to this post! But my philosophy about baking and blogging….if you don’t feel like doing it…then don’t….just take a break. And most important…unless it’s burnt beyond recognition….despite what it looks like, it usually still tastes great! I would gladly take these off your hands! Hope you enjoyed your time at the lake! : )

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:44 am

You are so right! I think I learned that lesson with these cookies. And I’m feeling better now. Thanks so much!!

36. #
    Laura @ GotChocolate — May 21, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

WOW, so fragile-looking, yet DELICIOUS I bet! :D

37. #
    Baking Serendipity — May 21, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

I definitely get in those moods too…but these cookies still look fantastic! My kitchen disaster usually involves powdered sugar and the Kitchen Aid…I think I’d be okay with these!

38. #
    Jennifer | Mother Thyme — May 21, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

These sure look great to me but I know how you feel. I have those days where taking photos, photo editing, writing etc… I’m just not in the mood to do it. I try not to set expectations on myself anymore and publish posts when I can, especially with summer almost here. So glad to hear you had a great time at the lake; it looks so pretty and relaxing. :)

39. #
    Krissy's Creations — May 21, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Mine were way too done around the edges too! But still delicious, right?!

40. #
    Deborah — May 21, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

It’s the worst when you *have* to make something, but you don’t want to. It never seems to go as well as it should! But I still think these look mighty tasty – and I’d probably be caught with my hand in the cookie jar!

41. #
    Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — May 22, 2012 @ 2:40 am

I’m happy to eat anything you think isn’t perfect :) They look great to me.

42. #
    Joanne — May 22, 2012 @ 5:47 am

I’ve tried a few times to make various versions of these cookies and they have always been a flop (probably because I didn’t quite follow the instructions). Seeing all of these Milk bar Mondays posts about them has made me realize that if I just followed directions…they’d turn out! Ack. It happens to us all!

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Yes, it is imperative, with these recipes especially, that the instructions are followed to a T! Thanks Joann!

43. #
    sarah k @ the pajama chef — May 22, 2012 @ 10:33 am

oh i feel you! but the pics still are beautiful, and a cookie is still a cookie even if it’s not perfect :)

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Thanks so much Sarah!

44. #
    Stephaie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 22, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Aw, Cassie! I think we all have recipes that go wrong sometimes. I make a lot of mistakes when it comes to baking as I am not always very patient and do not always measure precisely! I bet these still tasted great!

45. #
    claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 22, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Girl, I feel that ALL THE TIME. Trust me. Some days I don’t want to do ANYTHING!! But I couldn’t agree more with your just start over. I mean, sometimes, things don’t turn out!

46. #
    Meghan — May 22, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

I totally hear you on the blogging blues my friend. I think it happens to all of us. Could not agree with you more on the creaming thing, it’s one of the first things I teach people! I bet these cookies still tasted pretty good!

47. #
    Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker — May 22, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

Oh no! These do look so sad! You know what I think Christina would say?! Crunch them up, pop them in the freezer and then toss them into a NEW cookie some time! It’s my new favorite thing to do!

48. #
    Ramona — May 23, 2012 @ 6:11 am

Here is your Monday post… and I’m sorry to be late. :( I love that you used cornflakes!! We always have leftover cornflakes in our cereal boxes and this is a wonderful way to use them up! :) PS.. the photos are wonderful… don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s a great post in all! :)

• Cassie replied: — May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Thanks so much Ramona, you are so encouraging!!

49. #
    Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — May 24, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous. I can’t imagine they would last long in my house.

50. #
    natalie@thesweetslife — May 24, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

at least humility is a good lesson to learn, right?

these still look delish to me, and you’re a better woman than I! I would’ve used the cornflake crunch from the dirty floor :) shhh

Trackbacks/Pingbacks